According to the National Safety Council’s Injury Facts report, Motorcycles make up 3% of all registered motor vehicles on U.S. roads, but they account for 14% of all traffic fatalities. Over the past decade, motorcycle death rates have increased by 29%, with nearly 6,000 fatalities last year alone. Another 80,000 people suffered injuries in motorcycle accidents, many of which were serious or catastrophic due to the lack of protections that other vehicles, such as cars, provide.
If you or a loved one was involved in a motorcycle accident in Lincoln, Omaha, or nearby Council Bluffs, you may be entitled to compensation. And if so, you may not know the best way to find a motorcycle accident lawyer near you. There are a lot of factors to finding the right attorney for your case. In this post, we’ll explore how to identify the best motorcycle accident lawyer for you and your case.
Why is Choosing the Right Lawyer Important?
You want a lawyer who will take your motorcycle accident case seriously, do the work required to fully investigate your accident, determine the extent of your damages, and fight to get the maximum compensation on your behalf. You deserve to be treated with respect by a lawyer dedicated to fighting for justice on your behalf. And when you find the right one, you will know you have made the right decision. But first, you should do some research.
Tips for Finding the Right Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near You
Here are some tips to consider when researching the right motorcycle accident lawyer.
Location, Location, Location
Plenty of large law firms offer a national presence, but choosing a lawyer near you offers many advantages. For starters, they understand the local legal landscape and are familiar with the local courts, judges, and opposing counsel. They also may have access to local professionals in your area who can help evaluate your accident or injuries and provide expert testimony to help bolster your case. .
Experience in Your Type of Accident
As you narrow your search for a lawyer in your motorcycle accident case, focus on personal injury lawyers with experience handling claims involving motorcycle accidents. One way is to check the practice areas of a law firm to see if they handle motorcycle accident claims. Motorcycle accident lawyers understand the local laws that play a role in motorcycle accidents, the types of injuries riders suffer, the recovery that’s often required, and what evidence they need to collect to back up a claim for full compensation.
A Good Track Record
An attorney with years of experience practicing personal injury law has developed the knowledge to handle accident cases. But you also want them to have a proven track record of verdicts and settlements inside and outside the courtroom. Reviewing a firm’s case results shows that they are skilled negotiators and litigators who can deliver on their promise to recover compensation on your behalf.
Evaluate their Reputation
Customer reviews have become a game-changer for people shopping for retail products, but they also prove beneficial for people shopping for services, including legal representation. Most law firms have sections on their websites where you can see client testimonials. You can also read about their awards and accolades and their community involvement. This information can give you a good understanding of the law firm’s culture and the commitment of its lawyers and legal staff.
Interview Your Top Choices
Once you have narrowed your list of motorcycle accident attorneys near you, you’ll want to schedule a meeting to discuss your case. Most personal injury law firms offer free consultations during which a lawyer will evaluate your case to understand the strengths and weaknesses and whether they find it viable enough to pursue. But this meeting is also a good opportunity to ask the lawyer questions, assess their approach, and decide if you are comfortable working with them.
How to Prepare for a Case Consultation
Preparing for your first consultation with a personal injury lawyer is important to make the most of your meeting and gather the information you need. Here’s information to gather to help you prepare:
- Gather Documents: Bring any relevant documents related to your case, such as accident reports, medical records, photographs, insurance policies, and correspondence with the involved parties. These documents will help the lawyer better understand the details of your situation.
- Medical Information: Provide a summary of your injuries, treatments received, and current medical status. If you haven’t completed medical treatment, explain your ongoing treatment plan.
- Insurance Information: Bring copies of your insurance policies, including auto insurance if applicable. Discuss the coverage and potential limits that might affect your case.
- Witness information: If there were witnesses to the incident, gather their names, contact information, and a brief description of what they witnessed.
- List of Questions: Prepare a list of questions you want to ask the lawyer. This might include inquiries about their experience, the legal process, potential outcomes, fees, and your role in the case.
Questions to Ask a Lawyer During a Case Consultation
Here are some questions you might consider asking a lawyer during your initial consultation:
- Based on the information I’ve provided, what’s your initial assessment of my case’s strengths and weaknesses?
- What approach do you recommend for my case? Will it involve negotiation, mediation, or litigation?
- How will you keep me informed about the progress of my case? How often can I expect updates?
- What’s the best way to reach you, and what’s your typical response time for client inquiries?
- How involved will I be in the decision-making process as my case progresses?
- How do you charge for your services? Is it on a contingency fee basis (where the lawyer takes a percentage of the settlement)?
- Are there any upfront costs I should be aware of?
- Will I be responsible for any expenses if we don’t win the case?
- What factors influence your decision to settle or go to trial?
- How long do you expect my case to take, from start to finish?
- What types of compensation might I be eligible for in my situation? (Medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.)
Make an Informed Decision
Researching and interviewing top candidates helps you identify the right lawyer for your case. But in the end, you’ll want to hire a lawyer you can trust to carry your case through the legal process and get you the compensation you need so you and your family can focus on your recovery.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Berry Law
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you deserve justice.
The best Lincoln personal injury law firm, Berry Law understands how serious these injuries can be and the impact they can have on your life and the lives of your family. Financial compensation won’t heal your pain and suffering, but it can offer you and your family peace of mind during this difficult time.
Call or fill out our online contact form for your free consultation and learn your legal options.