If you are convicted of a crime in Iowa, the court system can impose a variety of harsh consequences. If you are charged with any of the following, you could face jail and heavy fines:
- Military crimes
- Sex crimes
- Drug drimes
- White-collar crimes
- Domestic violence crimes
- Felony crimes
- Child abuse crimes
Fortunately, a top-rated criminal defense lawyer in Council Bluffs, IA, can assist you with any of these offenses. At Berry Law Firm, you can schedule a free consultation today to start building a solid defense and increase your chances of successfully settling the charges you are facing.
What to Do When Facing Criminal Charges
When you are accused of a crime, the criminal justice system strives to maintain your innocence. From that moment forward, you must be attentive of everything that you say and do. Finding a criminal defense attorney should be a top priority, as navigating the legal system alone can be tough.
Here are are five things to do when facing criminal charges:
- Exercise your constitutional right to silence: Police are no longer required to read Miranda rights to suspects, but they protect you from being coerced into testifying or speaking to law enforcement.
- Maintain a record of all evidence: Photos, clothing, emails, or objects belonging to the alleged victim must all be provided as evidence to strengthen our defense and prove your innocence.
- Remember that law enforcement is permitted to embellish the truth: Police officers have been known to lie in order to gather information during an interrogation; keep in mind that everything you say can be used against you. Because you can be punished for providing misleading information, the best answer until you are represented is no answer at all.
- Make a list of potential witnesses or alibis: Mistaken identification is a strong defense claim that can be bolstered when witnesses or alibis can establish the whereabouts of the alleged culprit. Having a record of them when working with the police will only help your case.
- Consult with a criminal defense attorney: The sooner that you can retain legal counsel, the better your chances are at strengthening your case. An attorney will prep you for interactions or engage on your behalf to prevent miscommunication and preserve evidence.
Advantages of Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
As criminal defense attorneys in Council Bluffs and its neighboring areas, we understand the complexities that accompany a felony accusation and how different jurisdictions in Iowa handle criminal charges. We are prepared to provide you with the expert assistance you require to overcome any legal obstacles that may arise.
Our legal services are beneficial to all cases that we assist with, focusing especially on the following court procedures:
The Bail Hearing
In rare cases, the court system may grant you a bail hearing. This hearing determines how much bail you must pay if you wish to remain free until your trial. Criminal attorneys can help you reduce your bond payment as much as possible.
Prosecutors may offer you a plea deal during your trial. Prosecutors may attempt to persuade you to accept these plea bargains, even if they are not in your best interests. A criminal defense attorney will carefully weigh each plea to ensure that prosecutors do not take advantage of you.
Your Criminal Case
Going before a judge and jury can be nerve-racking, but dealing with a criminal defense lawyer can help prepare you. Our legal specialists have extensive experience in strategizing a defense that protects your rights and highlights your innocence.
Things That Jeopardize Your Criminal Defense Strategy
Being charged with a crime can be frightening and stressful. People under stress will do and say anything to show their innocence, forgetting that anything can be used against them to prove a guilty narrative. Reduce your chances of being charged with a crime by avoiding the following:
- Posting on social media
- Contacting the alleged victim
- Volunteering to speak with police, investigators, or prosecutors in the absence of legal counsel
- Before being imprisoned, voluntarily submitting a DNA test
Unless your lawyer advises you otherwise, do not submit any items that could be considered evidence. Whether it’s a DUI or a juvenile crime, it’s the prosecutor’s and police’s job to bring the accused to justice. Protect yourself by hiring a legal firm with a successful record in Iowa.
Legal Help for Iowa Criminal Charges
Do you know what to do when facing criminal charges? We can handle every angle of your criminal case. We strengthen your defense argument to avoid or lessen criminal charges by:
- Moving to suppress evidence against you
- Monitoring the police to ensure that they are not violating your rights
- Collaboration with expert witnesses
By contacting us right now, you can begin receiving the specialized attention you require to deal with criminal accusations. Our team of lawyers all specialize in various practice areas.
The legal professionals at the Berry Law Firm can help you handle criminal charges discreetly and efficiently. You can begin developing a solid case with a criminal defense attorney in Council Bluffs, IA, right away. Contact us today to set up a free initial case evaluation.