It can be daunting to be arrested and interrogated on suspicion of committing a crime. You might be unsure what your next steps should be. If you could be or have been charged with a criminal offense, your next step should be to contact a Bellevue criminal lawyer as soon as possible.
A defense lawyer who handles all types of criminal cases could provide critical legal representation and safeguard your constitutional rights, including the right to due process and the right to be presumed innocent unless proven guilty. With the team from Berry Law on your side, you could have someone fighting on your behalf who understands the law and could work to achieve the best outcome possible for you.
Types of Cases Handled by a Criminal Attorney
A Bellevue criminal attorney could provide legal advice and representation for a wide array of misdemeanor and felony criminal cases. This can include cases involving assault, theft or fraud, drug offenses, driving under the influence (DUI), gun or firearm offenses, and many others.
An attorney who handles criminal cases in Bellevue could also defend against charges for many other types of offenses not listed above. It is important to consult with a dedicated criminal attorney to ensure your rights are protected throughout police interrogations and legal proceedings.
For a free legal consultation with a criminal defense lawyer serving Bellevue, call 402-466-8444
Penalties for Misdemeanor Offenses in Bellevue
Misdemeanor offenses in Bellevue are separated into seven different classes, with specific minimum and maximum penalties prescribed for each. The penalties for classes I through V are outlined below:
- Class I — Up to one-year confinement, a $1,000 fine, or both
- Class II — Up to six months confinement, a $1,000 fine, or both
- Class III — Up to three months confinement, a $500 fine, or both
- Class IIIA — Up to seven days confinement, a $500 fine, or both
- Class IV — $500 fine, no confinement
- Class V — $100 fine, no confinement
The seventh class of misdemeanor offenses is a Class W misdemeanor, which applies to DUI offenses. The penalties range from a maximum of 60 days confinement and a $500 fine for the first offense to a maximum of one-year imprisonment and a $1,000 fine for a third offense.
Bellevue Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me 402-466-8444
Penalties for Felony Offenses
Felony offenses are divided into ten separate classes. Class I felonies are the most serious and could result in capital punishment. Class IA felonies are the second most serious and are punishable by life in prison. The penalties for felony offenses falling into the remaining classes are as follows:
- Class IB — Imprisonment for 20 years to life
- Class IC — Imprisonment for five to 50 years
- Class ID — Imprisonment for three to 50 years
- Class II — Imprisonment for one to 50 years
- Class IIA — Up to 20 years imprisonment
- Class III — Up to four years imprisonment, two years post-release supervision, and a $25,000 fine
- Class IIIA — Up to three years imprisonment, 18 months post-release supervision, and a $10,000 fine
- Class IV — Up to two years imprisonment, 12 months post-release supervision, and a $10,000 fine
A criminal defense attorney in Bellevue could provide further details about the penalties for specific felony charges.
Click to contact our lawyers today
Speak to a Bellevue Criminal Defense Attorney for Best Results
You do not have to fight criminal charges all alone. A Bellevue criminal lawyer could stand by your side and fight to secure the optimal outcome in your case. In addition to defending you against misdemeanor or felony criminal charges, an attorney could also protect your legal rights. Contact a criminal defense attorney in Bellevue to discuss your case today.
Call or text 402-466-8444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form