Is it Legal to Buy HGH in Nebraska?
What Is HGH?
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is a steroidal hormone produced in the pituitary glands of growing children and teens. It regulates the major functions of the body involved in the growth process, such as changes in metabolism, bone and muscle growth, and more. Many people have used synthetic HGH to combat the effects of aging and preserve or improve their appearance, energy levels, body composition, and bone mass.
HGH has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in a medical context to treat certain conditions, which include:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Insufficient HGH production
- Muscular atrophy resulting from HIV
- Pituitary tumors that cause HGH deficiency
- Prader-Willi syndrome
- Premature birth or small size at birth
- Short bowel syndrome
- Turner’s syndrome
To be clear, use of HGH is only lawful and permissible if prescribed by a doctor AND used to treat the conditions mentioned above. However, millions of people use synthetic HGH every year to improve athletic performance or fight the effects of aging, which is illegal.
Can You Buy HGH or Use in Nebraska?
HGH and similar substances (such as anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs) are considered controlled substances, which means you are prohibited from possessing or using them unless you meet the legal requirements for doing so. If you are caught purchasing, selling, using, or distributing HGH unlawfully, you may be arrested, charged with multiple drug crimes, and subject to criminal penalties. In some cases, it may even be illegal when prescribed by a doctor if that doctor is working with what is called a pill mill. These are facilities that specialize in providing prescriptions for steroids such as HGH and they work in partnership with doctors who are willing to unnecessarily prescribe these drugs. This turns into a legal form of drug dealing, but anyone found in connection with a pill mill can be charged with crimes ranging from racketeering to illegally prescribing a controlled substance to even money laundering. Additionally, you cannot take HGH if it was not prescribed directly to you. Only the person who was prescribed the drug can use it, and you can be charged for using/possessing a controlled substance if you take or use any of it.
Criminal Penalties for Unlawful Sale, Possession, and Use of HGH in Nebraska
Illegal actions related to controlled substances are usually considered felonious and are punishable by federal law.
As such, conviction of a drug crime related to HGH could result in severe penalties, including:
- Prison—Drug crime charges and sentencing related to steroids depend on the nature of the crime in question and whether or not the criminal action of which you are accused is part of a larger criminal episode. For example, possession could result in a year in prison, whereas a crime involving sale, distribution, or intent to engage in either of the above could lead to a prison sentence of 5 years or more.
- Fines—Regardless of the nature of your crime(s) involving HGH or other controlled substances, you can expect to pay relatively small fines of several hundred dollars or larger fines of $10,000 (or more) if you are convicted.
- Probation—In addition to prison time and fines, you could be forced to comply with court orders regarding probation and related limitations after serving your sentence. This may include regular meetings with a probation officer, submission to drug tests, requirements that you hold down a steady job, and removing yourself from criminal activity of any kind.
Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving the Accused
At Berry Law Firm, we may be able to help you fight your drug crime charges. Use and distribution of HGH can create confusion for users as to what is legal and what isn’t, and we may be able to help you craft a strong defense if you have been accused of a drug-related crime. Connect with one of our Nebraska drug crime attorneys today to schedule your confidential case review.
Call (402) 817-6550 to receive an initial consultation and secure the representation you need to achieve a positive outcome in your case